Thursday, May 7, 2015

Finally, Hair with Texture the Cheap and Green Way

It is a truth universally acknowledged that if you are a female with hair, your hair is in want of a solution. Who has not wanted their hair to be better, different, and manageable?

Blessed with hair that is damnably thick, straight, shiny all over, and untameable, of course I have longed for hair that is fine, curly, and editorially matte and cohesive. What the hell do I mean? I mean magazine-version Blake Lively hair, Jennifer Aniston hair, Eva Mendes hair... hair that keeps its shape and resembles the fine, airbrushed, smooth feathers of a freakin' eagle, not the slick-looking mess that covers eaglets minutes after hatching. For a greater explanation of the particular hair woes of thick-haired lasses like moi, see here and here.

For a while, I thought dry shampoo and texture sprays were the way to go. So the dry shampoo / texturizer hunt began. I tried dry shampoos by Lush, Tresseme, Herbal Essences, baby powder, a texture spray by Oscar Blandi and one by Tigi.. they were okay. At the same time, I tired of each quickly because I could feel the product. Sure, my hair looked matte, but it felt icky. I would be in the middle of a project and wish that I could excuse myself for five minutes to wash my hair out. When I started to work from home more, I stopped using additional products to mattify and texturize, and my scalp never felt better. I have always been a wash and go kind of gal, so I decided that was good enough.

Yet I bring glad tidings, for I have discovered the secret to the matte, textured hair. Say it with me. Bar. Soap.

Since washing my hair with a bar of Shea Moisture African Black Soap, the best $5 I have ever spent at Bed Bath & Beyond, my hair is ready for the cover of Costco magazine. Or even Better Homes and Gardens. I put it up in a pony tail, and it obeyed me. I have not broken a hair tie in several days. It's a miracle. Plus, it smells delicious and it's easy. What's not to like?

Have you had any luck with bar soaps or shampoo bars in your locks? If so, let me know what you think.










No comments:

Post a Comment